Thursday, October 7, 2010

Strength Training

Most women, I find, tend to be afraid (or sceptical) of strength training. I hear it time and time again, " I don't want to get bulky." I admit the women on the left is frightful (even a bit disgusting), but what women don't realize is that they're uncapable of getting bulging muscles like these without the use of steroids or some other exogenous hormones. Look at the women in the middle, she is a power lifter and she is not overly defined (she's actually quite petite looking), but she is clearly strong.Women have lower testosterone levels and lower muscle mass levels that don't allow them to get overly muscular. This means that women's strength training regimens should be the same as men because they have no excuse for not doing it. Reasons for strength training: less fat and more muscle makes for a lower body fat percentage, increased bone density (less chance osteoporosis), more functional strength (for things like holding a baby, pregnancy, etc.), it's challenging and fun. My favorite kind of strength training is functional style, that works the whole body. My choice tool-the kettlebell (as most should know, check past articles for the benefits of kettlebells. Sunday's our my heavy lift days, and my daughters comes in and works out with the guys and follows the same routine as we do. Once a month I have clients do a max Turkish get-up, which is great because it really pushes them, plus it can add a little bit of a competitive edge to lifting.So women, don't fear the heavy weight embrace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment