Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Get Outside! Green Exercise


Now and coming up in the fall is the perfect time to start incorporating some green exercise. What is green exercise? Well it's quite simple: exercise outside. Anything goes from walking, gardening, cycling, fishing, boating, horse-riding, hiking, or farming. We've already discussed the benefits of low aerobic activity, plus you can incorporate play and soak up some vitamin D. All of this just by going outside and doing as little as walking. Studies in England have shown that as little as five minutes of green exercise can improve mood and personal well-being. A study of 1,252 people in the UK showed that activity in natural areas decreases risk of mental illness and improves sense of well-being. What's even better is that a blue (water) and green environment seems to be even better help, so go to a lake and walk around, jump on a kayak, or jump in the water and swim. Think about it, don't you usually feel a little better after a little time outside? I find it calming and relaxing. Sure it's hot right now, but try going out earlier in the day or later in the evening. I hike Monday and Thursday mornings starting at seven in the morning, so that I am done before it's scorching outside. The options are limitless, it's easy- just step outside, and it takes as little as five minutes to get benefits. Check out some of the ways me and my family get green exercise. the first is my wife practicing her kettlebells on the beach. Next are my employees on our staff hiking trip in July. Lastly there is my wife Susan and I on a hike behind our home in New Goshen.

No comments:

Post a Comment